Frustrated

Discussions on Shooting Forms and Styles
Forum rules
Remember the Golden Rule!
Jag10x

Frustrated

Postby Jag10x » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:13 am

Hey guys, I’m new to black widow, and in need of some advice. I’ve been attempting to learn to shoot instinctive for a little over a month, and I’m having consistency issues. In the 10-15 yard range I’ll put 3 arrows on top of each other one round, then my group will open up the next round. Or I’ll it dead center with my first shot and spray the next. I seem to shoot better when stumping, but then I’ll line up on a target and be inconsistent again. Not sure if I’m just expecting too much, too soon, but I’m getting pretty frustrated with myself. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long winded post!

Matt Steed

Re: Frustrated

Postby Matt Steed » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:41 pm

I have had some of the best traditional archers to tell me, not to shoot groups, but to shoot one arrow at a time. I know it’s hard, not to stand there and shoot every arrow you have, but it did seem to help me.

Also, make sure your set up is tuned and you are getting good arrow flight. It will be hard to be consistent if your bow and arrow isn’t tuned.

Don’t get frustrated, enjoy shooting your bow. The beauty of traditional archery is the simplicity. This is my 20th year shooting traditional and every guy is different, but I would say the biggest help for me was reading Fred Asbell’s books. I was having a difficult time when I first stated and a friend let me borrow his Asbell books. After reading his Instinctine Shooting book several times, it was sort of like a light bulb came on. Every person is different and we all have our own distinctive way of shooting, but Asbell helped me.

Remember have fun and Practice, Practice and Practice.

God Bless.

Ed32

Postby Ed32 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:32 pm

I had a hard time accepting the accuracy of traditional archery when I switched from compounds. I eventually realized that was keeping me shooting arrows. Once I did accept the challenge of accuracy it made hitting that spot so much more enjoyable than it already was. And if i shoot within in a 6 inch circle thats good enough. A simple shot sequence with a good anchor point works for me.

Hawk

Postby Hawk » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:30 am

Jag,
It's easy to get discouraged about this style of shooting.
I've attended three different shooting instruction classes over the years and the common denominator of all 3 was repeatable form and aiming was actually secondary.
Without repeatable form, accuracy will always be fleeting.
Work on a repeatable sequence and start by shooting at a BLANK BALE at close range. The key I learned at my last class was that if the shot sequence doesn't feel right, LET DOWN!
Don't take the, "as long as I'm in the neighborhood, I'll just shoot" attitude. All that does is reinforces in your brain to accept sloppy form.
Shooting at a blank bale removes the problem of the added worry of trying to hit the bullseye.
Like Matt noted, it's hard to also achieve accuracy with equipment that isn't tuned, but the double edge sword is without repeatable form it's sometimes hard to get equipment tuned to it's fullest potential, if that makes any sense.
I would say to run some figures thru the 3 Rivers Spine Calculator to get you close, then worry about bareshaft tuning, Videos on Widow Website, later on.
The Masters of the Barebow Series of DVDs (Widow Part # 926) has been very helpful along with Fred Asbell Books and DVDs, (Part # 932 & 931)
If you are struggling to come to full draw, don't shoot too many times. Shoot one arrow and go pull it. Give your muscles a chance to rest. If you get tried, stop for the day.
FWIW,
I rule when comes to long posts. LOL
Sincerely,
Hawk

Jim McCann

Postby Jim McCann » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:45 pm

Upon my return to instinctive shooting with a recurve after a 15-year hiatus, I was surprised at how well I shot. In no time I was busting arrows because of the tight groups at 20-yards, but eventually, I was developing some bad habits. I went from thinking (not really) they would soon be writing books and songs about my abilities with a stick bow, to shaking my head at my misses after shooting only about a dozen arrows. I'm back to trying to perfect my shooting form -and I'm no expert - but this one thing I do know for certain; don't shoot too many arrows! I was a great shot when the weather was good and I was shooting outdoors, and I took my time, maybe shooting a dozen or so arrows in the morning, maybe another dozen in the evening. And I would take days off from shooting. Once the moose season was over and the cold temps and darkness arrived in my part of the world, I moved indoors to shoot. I'd pay for an hour of range time and shoot constantly throughout that hour. In the beginning, I was doing awesome and had some compound shooters stop shooting just to watch me shoot. I whipped their butts at 20-yards. Well, it didn't take long until I was short drawing, and now I'm fighting that battle. It's a bit frustrating, but not so bad because I know I will conquer any such problems and get back to where I want to be. I'm doing fine for hunting because my first several arrows are on the mark, but I want to be better. So, I'll just go slow, and shoot less in order to shoot better as my plan. I've got another BW bow being made right now at a lower pound pull to help me ensure I stick to basics a bit easier. I'm having a blast! Even on the "bad" days.

Jim McCann

Postby Jim McCann » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:21 am

A brief follow-up to my earlier comments. Went to the indoor range today (it's minus 40 outside!) and didn't quite listen to all of my own advice, but I did shoot fewer arrows and take two short breaks during the hour of shooting. My first several arrows were dead-on at 20-yards. Great news for a hunter. But once again as I moved through the hour of shooting I found myself short drawing again. The alignment is great, but my arrows would occasionally drop low due to my short drawing. Now mind you, today was my heavy day of weight lifting at the gym, but my bow isn't all that hard to draw. One of my problems is that I bring with me six arrows in the quiver. Don't know why I do that. For the rest of the winter, I shall bring only four arrows. If I make sure I'm drawing all the way back to my anchor and then using my back as I release, my arrows most often are tightly grouped. I need to slow down, shoot fewer arrows, and take breaks. I hope some of this helps the OP because it has helped me a lot. I'm still having an absolute blast.

Jag10x

Postby Jag10x » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I have started shooting at closer distances (6-12 yards) and shooting one arrow at a time. I’ve already gotten more consistent within a couple of outings. The close range and one arrow at a time has allowed me to concentrate on form more, and stops me from getting annoyed at one bad arrow and following it with a few more. I’ve noticed a few small inconsistencies with my form that I definitely wouldn’t have just flinging arrows. Also using the asbell grip (with 2 fingers around the grip and two under your palm) has helped me get more consistent hand placement on the bow. Once again, I appreciate all the help!

Hawk

Postby Hawk » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:52 am

Jag,
Good to hear that it's starting to work for you. Best wishes for continued success.
Sincerely,
Hawk

James Calamaris

Postby James Calamaris » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:07 pm

Lots of great advice above. The key to consistency is to have a repeatable shot sequence. In my basement I have a bag target at 10 yards and I shoot one arrow and go over and pull it. It's easy for me to over do it. Don't forget guys were shooting hunting weight bows. ...........Uncle Jim

recurve

Postby recurve » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:54 pm

Jag,
You kinda answered part of your question yourself. Traditional archery is hand and eye coordination in training the brain. Agree with all statements above ( repeat ability and consistency is form) and one more FOCUS. Your statement speaks volumes to answering part of your frustration questions.

You stated you do better stumping. WHY IS THAT???

A form that you are comfortable with is developed over time that is first and foremost but focusing on a small point of aim is equally important during this time. Train your brain to very small points of aim

I do better stumping. Think about stumping and what is different from indoor targets. Stumping usually consists of a very small target picked out as you stroll around whatever terrain your in and shooting at a very small target in my experiences stumping. FORM comes naturally to me behind FOCUSING when stumping on a target. When I'm stumping I dont even think about form it occurs naturally. FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS is what your doing stump shooting. Indoor is not like stump shooting in a woods. IMOP that is why you do better. You truly are focusing more so

In my younger days there would be group of us guys stump in a woods that was hilly terrain. We picked out small subject matters just lying on the floor of the woods the hills were close together and we never had to look for arrows we were always shooting into side of slight elevation never lost an arrow and we would shoot for hours on end usually six arrows at time. I always shoot better when stump shooting then on paper or 3D. But one other item that relates to form that is very important and you will discover when shooting instinctive. HOLD THAT BOW ARM ON YOUR TARGET TILL YOU SEE YOUR ARROW HITTING THAT TARGET. Your groups will improve dramatically when you practice this. Do not drop that bow arm before that arrow hits. Have fun and practice as much as time allows you.

Return to “Shooting Wall”