Shooting mechanical broad heads from a black widow recurve bow

Welcome to the Widow Wall!
Forum rules
Remember the Golden Rule when you post
Bowhnter1

Shooting mechanical broad heads from a black widow recurve bow

Postby Bowhnter1 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:26 am

Hello Widow Wall ; Hope everyone’s fine and in good health. I’d like to ask has anyone used mechanical Broads like grim reaper or rageheads with a black widow bow with any success? I want to shoot rage and grîm Reaper broad heads to hunt with!

James Calamaris

Re: Shooting mechanical broad heads from a black widow recurve bow

Postby James Calamaris » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:44 pm

I haven’t used mechanical broadheads, but a friend of mine used Grim Reapers out of a 45# Groves recurve with good results. He shot two deer using them and said his blood trail was good. He also lost one using them. I guess it’s all about proper shot placement. Me myself, I stick with COC 2 blade broadheads. Best of luck on your upcoming season. ...... Uncle Jim

Shaftbuster

Postby Shaftbuster » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:50 pm

Mechanicals thrive on speed....we really can't provide that with traditional equipment very well.
Most folks seek to even the playing field with penetration and bone punching strength.
It will absolutely work when things go right.....the deer will suffer if things go wrong.
There's a wealth of info out there....and opposing sound arguments on both sides....I'm in the Tuffhead camp!

Tinetickler

Postby Tinetickler » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:01 pm

If you have a heavy draw weight, like 60 -65 lbs you might be ok, if you notice on most videos the compound guys usually don't get very good penetration. and they are shooting pretty heavy poundage. Maybe ok on deer size critters, but absolutely not on Elk size critters! A whitetail outfitter my cousin hunted with in Alberta won't allow them, he sent acouple well known( "tv stars" L&T) to town to get coc heads before he allowed them to hunt!! this should tell you something . He sees many deer shot each year!!

Whiskey Creek

Postby Whiskey Creek » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:38 pm

I would go with something designed for low kenetic energy...NAP makes one and Rage did as well...
Attachments
Screenshot_20190723-163339.png
Screenshot_20190723-163339.png (389.84 KiB) Viewed 768 times

Sandman

Postby Sandman » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:37 pm

Yeah its just hard to top a good sharp 2 blade broadhead thats for sure.They have so many good ones out now that fly nice and true if you do your part.I have always used a cut on contact myself.

beemann

Postby beemann » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:49 pm

The last few years I have spent time with a lot of different hunting guides and outfitters. They all say the same thing about mechanicals, "they are great when they work." Everyone of them has numerous stories about when they didn't work. Buddies son killed his first deer with a mechanical, Made a perfect shot and they had a long slow tracking job. Turns out the head did not open.

Dave lay

Postby Dave lay » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:39 pm

I’m not going to get into it, but with so many good solid heads or even replaceable blade heads why risk a head with moving parts that can easily fail ? It like others have said, they may work when things go right, but why risk it. I try to always prepare for the worst case situation.

beemann

Postby beemann » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:33 pm

I will admit to being intrigued by them. If I was going to do it with traditional gear I would use the hybrid style. I have seen a few that have a traditional looking two blade upfront with the mechanical in the rear.

BamaScott

Postby BamaScott » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:00 pm

As Shaftbuster said, there are a lot of opposing viewpoints on mechanical heads. I won't say you can't use one. I also won't say it won't work. The facts are, it takes more energy to open a mechanical head and a head that robs energy away from a bow that is already inferior in power to a compound decreases penetration. For me, I use a heavy arrow with heavy COC head for the main purpose of penetration. That is, penetration for me is key...I want maximum penetration with maximum damage to create a quick kill. So, do mechanicals work? I'm sure they have. But, one thing that is for certain is they will rob power from your shot and we can assume that robbed power can sometimes be enough to injure instead of kill. None of us want that.

For me, it's just not a risk I want to take. We as traditional bow guys have enough to worry about when drawing on an animal, so I like to know my equipment is up to the challenge. I'm not telling you what decision you need to make on it, but if I were handing out advice I would say go with a Zwickey or VPA (or something similar). I guess my main argument would be that assuming I do my part and execute a well placed shot and I'm using an effective head (Zwickey, etc), why would I use something that may or may not be effective? That is, to add a level of guessing to an already complicated endeavor.

After that book, I’ll say if you feel confident. Do it!

Return to “Widow Wall Forum”